Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Wed. Traditions...

Every Wednesday for the last three years have been spent loading up for the 5 minute drive over to High Point Gymnastics. I really can't tell you when we have missed! We love that gym and the encouragement we have gained from all of the coaches and staff, we just enjoy that place. But this is an end to our time with the Homeschool class. Summer is just busy, and my girl is growing up and wanting to spread her wings to different things and I can't wait to see what is in store for her! 

I guess all this leads into the fact that we had one whole day of no commitments, nowhere to be, no responsibilities so lets get in the car and explore. We have all wanted to go to Danville VA for awhile now and today seemed to be the perfect day. The kids had NO idea where we were going but looked forward to the surprise. 

Because we are members at the Greensboro Nature Center, we have reciprocal tickets at the Danville Science Center. If you are ever up that way, go check them out! It was so cute and we literally had the whole place to ourselves. 


The crazies posing outside one of the many cool buildings around the science center. 


Inside, there were plenty of hands on things for the kids to do. There were a lot of building and architectural elements which my kids thought were fascinating! I know we spent a lot of time in the building room.


Another area of the museum was the insect collection. If anyone knows Jake, you know that he loves bugs. He would go to each one, especially the most disgusting and coo over each one. "Oh! Aren't you cwoot!" Kylie, Luke and I would hide somewhere and hide our obvious disgust for the bugs. Ack!


I would much rather oogle over the sea shells thankyouverymuch.


Ok, outside, whew! There was a cute caboose that we could go inside. 



And then a nice little butterfly garden that the kids enjoyed exploring.



Again, talking to the butterfly. They knew eachother personally by the end of the time there... 


After the Science Center, we headed to a local park which had the Riverwalk. The kids brought their scooters and off they went.


The kids stopped to admire the view, er, to allow me to catch up, but while there they enjoyed the view of the "chocolate milk river." They weren't to impressed on the muddy water!


We had talked about loading up bikes but mine wasn't working well. Jake is quite good now at riding his big boy bike but I thought I would play it safe and just give him a scooter. He can ride it pretty well but is working on breaking as seen in this photo... That concentration!


They also had a Memorial Garden here at the park. I enjoyed a long talk with Luke going over all of the wars and the sacrifice the soldiers made so we could be free. How I love when the kids ask and learn without it being formal learning. 



It is moments like this I am overwhelmed with thankfulness.



There was also a playground at the park where we made a quick stop. They had a great rock wall to climb so I think this kid scared most of the parents with his lack of fear. 



No children were harmed in the making of this picture and all of them made it down safely. It was pretty high up even though this picture doesn't do it justice.



How I love days like this when we just get up and go. Yes, I get out of doing the laundry and sweeping the floor for the day but it just makes me happy to be the mom to these guys. My heart is full...











1 comment:

  1. Wow - this looks like a good place to go for a day trip! Going to have to add this to the "bucket list." J talking to the butterfly - made me smile and chuckle. Too cute!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!