Monday, March 21, 2011

39....

Another year was kissed goodbye today... A few days ago, my daughter looked up at me and said "you are about to turn 39!" Well, now that you mention it, I am. I have always known 39 comes after 38 so I am not sure why I was surprised but I guess I still feel pretty good for my age. Maybe my younger kids keep me going especially when their peers have moms around 26 ;) that I enjoy spending time with!

But about this past year. I feel that I have grown and stretched beyond belief. Right about this time last year, my husband was starting a new job up here in NC. We were fortunate enough to have 3 months of maternity leave from our old job so we had a great time of getting used to life in NC. Together.

Soon after our move, he went to work full time and I have done the stay at home mom thing and I have gone full throttle. Going from a Momma who loved spending her days with her husband and kids all day to now finding peace in making her house a home, cooking dinner and cleaning while her husband worked long hours. Sometimes (actually most the time) it means dealing with daily tasks by myself, such as meals, school, scrubbing the toilets, folding laundry and bedtime routines but I am thankful. Thankful my husband provides for us as a family and I feel full because of it.

I just came back from the Southeast Homeschool Convention where I was encouraged beyond belief. Mostly I was again reminded of why we homeschool and it cemented the very things we do on a daily basis in our homeschool. But this year was different. I was able to really connect because now I was 100% committed to homeschooling and being a stay at home momma! One of my sweet friends has entered into the homeschool circuit and I was able to hear her share her heart on homeschooling but as she started her talk, it occurred to me that ANY mom could gain so much insight into her wisdom. She focused on Proverbs 31:10 in the Message which states "...She senses the worth of her work..." and for us as women, it is so easy to stray away from the worth that we have at home. We need to find contentment in our jobs as wives/mothers/homemakers!

Now I could go on with this subject forever because it is something I am very passionate about... And I might hear the voice in your head totally going against what I am so excited about! Life should be 50-50 with your husband yada yada yada. But for us, it works. Do I work hard? You betcha. Do I get the thanks and props from society? Oh heck no. If you ask my kids in 20 years, will they ever regret the life they are living now?

Seriously though, I am a tad selfish because when Jon walks through the door at the end of the day, he is able to pour into ME, not having to worry about dishes, cleaning etc. We can connect and enjoy each other thus filling me up, allowing me to do it all again the next day.

So my birthday? It was spent doing what I usually do. Changing diapers, tending to sibling squabbles (almost like mini therapy sessions today! WHEW!) doctoring skinned knees and digging holes out in the yard. But it was full. Rich. Life.

She senses the worth of her work... I pray that you find the worth in all that you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you!