Friday, January 7, 2011

Word of the Year...

Have I mentioned that I love the New Year? I love the freshness of it all, the clean slate aspect and the thought of starting over gets me all giddy. I guess I have to admit that I am a sucker for anything new so maybe it shouldn't surprise me. I am also a addict for changing things. Probably to my detriment as I hope this new "thing" will make all things better, more efficient, more practical. Usually I end up at square one and it was all for naught but hey, I gave it a good try.

Sometimes because of this trait, I sometimes feel that I am on a hampster wheel of life. Laundry, dishes, wiping faces and other body parts which will go unnamed. It gets repetitive and sometimes I check out. Reading, computer, facebook, talking on the phone, the computer... do we see a pattern here? Anything but connecting with the Creator and the ones He put on this planet for me to raise and nurture. Just reading that last line makes me tear up and cry for I know it is such an important task God has entrusted me to.

Which leads me to my Word of the year. For a few years now, I have been choosing a life word. Something to direct my steps of sorts. If it doesn't line up with my word maybe I shouldn't be partaking in it. Last year it was strength as I really needed it! Having a newborn, moving and assorted other life changes really drained all of my emotional and physical energy so I had to constantly remind myself through that word that The joy of the Lord is my strength! I had it in me whether I felt it or not. And that word got me through.

This year, while I know the strength is in me, it is the discipline I lack. Ouch, I said it. Self-discipline. I feel that this word encapsulates all the things I want my life to focus on. Self-disciple to walk away from time suckers such as the computer and my phone. While those things are good, there still needs to be moderation. Self-disciple to plug into the people who are right there in front of me - my God, my husband, my children and my friends. To build up those face to face relationships that are so very vital to my being. I could go on and on and tell you all the things that I need to be disciplined in, but you get the point!

And before you sigh huge sighs of conviction and think, what more can I do? I am tired, worn out and how will I muster up the energy to keep on keeping on. Well, I thought that too until I did a quick little word check. 2 Timothy 1:7 says For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. We already have it! Whew... now we just need to obey.

Now to lighten things up a bit... My new year comes with a 1 year old!



It is hard to imagine that just a year ago he was born. He has added so much joy and life into our family. What amazes me the most about adding a third child was how seamlessly he fit in. The kids just accepted him and have incorporated him into their lives! Often I go into one of their rooms and they are all three playing some imaginary game and Jake is right there in the middle of it with his own special roll to play. I am so blessed to have siblings who love each other!



And with him becoming one, means a whole nother level of parenting...



He is walking. And boy did he take to it fast. One day he was taking little steps and falling down after one or two. Then in about a month, he has mastered it mostly and now gets everywhere by walking. He cracks me up too because he has this new face with his tongue sticking out when he means business. So watch out world, he Jake comes!



Peace out and we're outta here! Gotta practice my word right??




1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this! Very well said and tugged at my heart too!! God Bless!! Looks like He already has :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!